2014 KTM 450 SX-F
Charlie Mullins often leads the GNCC pack aboard the potent XC-F. No wonder, as the compact SOHC engine with the groundbreaking injection technology guarantees brute but highly controllable power. Among the large 4-strokes, the 450 XC-F scores mainly with its performance and agility. It is the right choice for every cross-country rider looking for torque and power with lots of control for XC1 racing.
- Engine: The compact 60hp power pack with a single overhead camshaft and the latest electronic fuel injection is distinguished by unrivaled performance and a highly efficient power delivery . Thanks to a revised crankcase, the weight is reduced for 2014.
- Balancer Shaft: In order to balance the mass-forces, the 450 engine uses a multifunctional counter balance shaft which also drives the water pump and timing chain. The engine receives a new water pump cover with a new gasket in order to optimize the seal.
- Crankshaft: The 450 XC-F’s crankshaft employs a plain big end bearing. Two force-fitted bearing shells run directly on the crank pin. The necessary oil feed for this bearing is ensured by the engine’ s pressure lubrication. This design is a major prerequisite for reaching the high engine speed levels and the impressive maximum power of the 450 XC-F engine. Another decisive customer benefit is the crankshaft service interval which can be lengthened due to the plain bearing.
- Pistons: Inside the cylinder with a bore of 95mm, an extremely lightweight bridged-box-type piston delivers a major contribution to the engine’ s low vibrations and engine-speed strength. The compression ratio is 12.6:1. Optimized for 2014, a new piston pin delivers more durability.
- Cylinder Head: Inside the 450 XC-F engine’s cylinder head, an overhead camshaft controls four ultra-lightweight titanium valves via extremely rigid rocker arms which are DLC-coated on the intake side. This configuration allows engine speeds up to 11,500rpm, a major contribution to the unique performance of the large displacement KTM engine. In 2014, a new three-layer head gasket is used that guarantees more durability under the most extreme conditions. In addition, the camshaft has received a strengthened auto-decompression mechanism. New three-layer head gasket; lightened camshaft with revised auto-decompression.
- Air Box: The airbox design offers maximum protection of the air filter against dirt while ensuring maximum airflow for top performance. The Twin Air filter can be changed without tools in seconds, a standard for KTM.
- Exhaust System: The new 350 & 450 have an optimized silencer that achieves outstanding performance at low noise levels. In addition, hydro-formed sections and an additional resonator (Header Resonator System, HRS) provide the 250 and 350 models with extra torque while reducing their noise emissions.
- Starter: Like all KTM 4-stroke motorcycles, the 450 XC-F is started with ease by pushing a button.
- Transmission: For 2014, KTM has optimized its gear tooth geometry to provide customers with a lightweight, 5-speed gear box with increased durability. Optimized gear tooth geometry & finish; new final drive gearing: 13:50 (MY13 - 14:52)
- DDS Clutch: The 450 employs the KTM-developed DDS clutch (damped diaphragm steel) with a wear-free steel basket and extremely heat resistant clutch plates. This design is distinguished by employing a diaphragm spring instead of the usual coil springs, which makes for a considerably easier clutch action. Strengthened for 2014, the diaphragm spring also leaves sufficient space for a damping system integrated into the clutch hub, which benefits both traction and durability. A stronger inner hub further increases stability. The hydraulic Brembo clutch mechanism with a new master cylinder guarantees a light operation and highly controllable modulation of the clutch.
- Swingarm: The cast aluminum swingarm has been developed with state-of-the-art calculation and simulation software and constructed, in terms of design and wall thickness, for minimum weight with optimum stiffness and precisely defined flexibility. For the 2014 model year, our engineers have revised the chainguide for the benefit of higher functional reliability, while simultaneously reducing the weight.
- Suspension/Damping: For 2014, all XC models are fitted with a newly developed 48mm 4CS Closed Cartridge fork featuring the patented 4-Chamber-System. The sophisticated design provides very constant and sensitive damping characteristics and an adjustable end progression. The new hand click adjuster system is now accessible on top of the fork, rebound on the right hand side, compression on the left. The fork is fitted with improved seal rings made by SKF and high performance fork oil (SAE 4). Compared to the predecessor, the new 4CS fork is lighter, easier to maintain and has been completely valved to match the shock for XC racing.
- Triple Clamps: The lower triple clamp has been modified for optimum attachment of the new front fender. Thanks to its new contour and attachment with two bolts from the front and two from below, the new fender boasts significantly higher stability.
- Frame: The state-of-the-art frame design made of lightweight, high-strength chromoly steel sections combines maximum longitudinal stiffness with optimum torsional rigidity. It guarantees easy handling and precise cornering, but also outstanding stability.
- Brakes: High-Tech Brembo brakes have always been standard equipment on KTM offroad bikes. Combined with the lightweight Wave discs, they are the ultimate solution in braking technology. The SX/XC models gain a newly developed master cylinder with a new reservoir , a smaller piston diameter and optimized lever kinematics. Combined with new brake pads, this makes for another perceptible improvement of front brake performance and action. New master cylinder with new reservoir, new lever, optimized kinematics and smaller piston diameter (down from 10mm to 9mm); new colors on master cylinder and reservoir (sand blasted aluminum with black cap); new brake pads.
- Wheels: The wheels use lightweight, CNC-machined hubs, high-end rims and spokes coated in black with lightweight aluminum nipples to achieve maximum stability at minimum weight. The OEM Dunlop Geomax MX51 tires deliver perfect traction and outstanding performance. XC models come with an 18" rear wheel and Giant rims.
- Handlebar: All SX & XC models are fitted with the super strong, tapered Renthal Fatbar 827 whose bend is especially well suited to the requirements of racing. The proven standard KTM mount allows to fix the handlebar in four different positions. A large Renthal bar pad in a classy combination of black and silver, offers effective crash protection for the rider.
- Graphics: New, classy graphics with clear lines visually underscore the exacting standards of what KTM deems a true, cutting-edge bike.
- Bodywork: In shaping the bodywork, the KTM designers’ ergonomic and design focus was to achieve complete harmony between rider and bike, down to the finest details. The front fender is a prime example of a molded polymer component gaining maximum stability through a well thought-out structure and mounting. XC models come with hand guards and side stand.
- Design: 1-cylinder 4-stroke engine, water-cooled
- Displacement: 449.3 cm³ (27.418 cu in.)
- Bore: 95 mm (3.74 in.)
- Stroke: 63.4 mm (2.496 in.)
- Starting aid: Electric starter
- Gearbox: 5-gear, claw shifted
- Engine lubrication: Pressure circulation lubrication with two Eaton pumps
- Primary transmission: 32:76
- Secondary gear ratio: 14:50
- Cooling: Water cooling, permanent circulation of coolant by water pump
- Clutch: DDS Multidisc clutch in oil bath/hydraulically activated
- Ignition: Contactless controlled fully electronic ignition with digital ignition adjustment
- Frame: Central tube frame made of chrome molybdenum steel tubing
- Fork: WP Suspension Up Side Down 4860 MXMA CC
- Shock absorber: WP Suspension 5018 BAVP DCC
- Suspension travel Front: 300 mm (11.81 in.)
- Suspension travel Rear: 317 mm (12.48 in.)
- Brake system: Disc brakes, brake calipers on floating bearings
- Brake discs - diameter Front: 260 mm (10.24 in.)
- Brake discs - diameter Rear: 220 mm (8.66 in.)
- Chain: 5/8 x 1/4 in.
- Steering head angle: 63.5 deg.
- Wheelbase: 1,495±10 mm (58.86±0.39 in.)
- Ground clearance, unloaded: 371 mm (14.61 in.)
- Seat height, unloaded: 992 mm (39.06 in.)
- Total fuel tank capacity, approx.: 9 L (2.4 US gal.) Super unleaded (ROZ 95/RON 95/PON 91)
- Weight without fuel, approx.: 109.5 kg (241.4 lb.)
- Engine Type
- 1-cylinder 4-stroke engine, water-cooled
- 449.3 cm³ (27.418 cu in.)
- Bore and Stroke
- 3.74 x 2.496 in. (95 x 63.4 mm)
- Water cooling, permanent circulation of coolant by water pump
- Contactless controlled fully electronic ignition with digital ignition adjustment
- Front Suspension
- WP Suspension Up Side Down 4860 MXMA CC
- Front Brakes
- Disc brakes, brake calipers on floating bearings
- Rear Suspension
- WP Suspension 5018 BAVP DCC
- Rear Brakes
- Disc brakes, brake calipers on floating bearings
- Dry Weight
- 241.4 lb. (109.5 kg)
- Fuel Capacity
- 2.4 US gal. (9 L)
- 58.86±0.39 in. (1,495±10 mm)
- Ground Clearance
- 14.61 in. (371 mm)
- Seat Height
- 39.06 in. (992 mm)
- 5-gear, claw shifted
- Final Drive
- 5/8 x 1/4 in. Chain