2011 Kawasaki VULCAN 1700 NOMAD
Freedom Cycle - Halifax
VULCAN 1700 NOMAD
- Engine gets an 8 millimeter longer stroke, boosting displacement to 903cc compared to the VN800's 805cc.
- Designed to offer superior acceleration in the mid-speed range (where most riding is actually done), the powerful, liquid-cooled V-twin engine has the torque to out-accelerate smaller displacement bikes yet with a single downshift can keep up with bikes one displacement class larger.
- Oversquare 88 x 74.2mm bore and stroke ensures punchy response and a broad spread of satisfying power. Free-breathing SOHC 4-valve heads deliver impressive performance throughout the rev range.
- The cylinder head features the same combustion chamber and intake/exhaust porting design concept as that of the mighty VN2000.
- Deeply chromed engine covers have curved upper surfaces. Their 3D design adds volume and gives a quality appearance.
- Deep fins on the cylinder and cylinder head were designed to highlight the VN900's larger engine. Fin spacing and size where chosen to make the engine look big.
- The edges of the fins receive a special NC treatment that makes them gleam in sunlight.
- All the non-chromed parts of the engine were finished in a black powder coat.
- The electronic fuel injection system, controlled by dual throttle valves, ensures silky smooth response and easy-to-control torque characteristics.
- Automotive-type fine-atomising injectors improve performance, fuel economy and emissions.
- An auto-fast idle system is equipped with an rpm feedback relay ensuring a fixed (ideal) engine speed in all starting conditions. (The feedback is used to control the sub-throttles to obtain the desired rpm.)
- Curved intake tracts provide an extremely efficient path for intake flow. Ports narrow as they reach the combustion chamber, increasing intake flow speed for more efficient filling. The result of the highly intake efficiency is improved torque.
- Long intake tracts extend well into the air cleaner box. The longer path improves low-end response.
- Returnless-type pump inside the fuel tank prevents fuel starvation during hard braking or acceleration. No return fuel line increases reliability.
- Redesigned crankshaft and gear-driven balancer are matched to the new longer stroke for smooth performance.
- Like all Kawasaki V-twins, the VN900 engine uses a single crankpin for best strength and strong power feeling.
- Lightweight, nut-less connecting rods like those on the VN2000 contribute to low vibration levels.
- Five-speed transmission with smooth shift action is geared for a comfortably low rpm at highway cruising speeds.
- The transmission is equipped with Kawasaki's exclusive Positive Neutral Finder. Just lift the pedal from first at a stop to find neutral easily , every time.
- Like the VN2000, the 900 Classic has a quiet and efficient belt final drive.
- In addition to reduced maintenance (compared to chain final drives), belt drives offer a smoother ride quality less weight and better efficiency than shaft drives.
- Dual slash-cut mufflers give the VN900 a wild air. The mufflers are angled so that they look good when the bike is on its side stand.
- Catalysers built into each of the mufflers reduce exhaust emissions.
- Overall the VN900 Classic is longer and lower than its predecessor, the VN800.
- Seat height has been lowered, giving the new Classic more of a “low rider” bias than the VN800.
- The longer wheelbase (lengthened by approximately 50mm) provides even more stability when cruising and contributes to the Classic image.
- The fork offset and rake geometry were set such that the bike does not self-steer. The result is light, low-effort handling when manoeuvring at ultra-low speeds
- Triangular-shaped swingarm appears to be a hardtail design, but acts on a single shock hidden beneath the seat.
- Shock is preload-adjustable
- Chrome rims are supported by 48 spokes and polished alloy hubs.
- Single 300mm drilled front disc delivers impressive stopping power without hiding the front wheel's good looks.
- Rear 300mm disc ensures maximum braking control.
- Second only to that of the VN2000, the massive 180 mm rear tire gives the rear of the bike a powerful image. (At 180 mm, this tire is wider than most large-displacement cruiser rear tires, including all of Kawasaki's 1600cc models!)
- The VN900 shares many of the long-and-low styling cues from the stunning VN2000. Easy to ride and very rider-friendly, the VN900 offers the look, feel and craftsmanship found in bigger cruisers. Whether rolling down the street or parked in front of a café, this is one sharp-looking machine.
- The fuel tank and fenders follow the same design theme: twin valleys running the length of the bike.
- The wide fuel tank tapers at the rear, contributing to the VN900's curvaceous theme. The fuel tank's curves have constantly varying radii, giving the bike a dynamism that is both powerful and smooth. Its hand-sculpted contours are pleasing to both the eye and to the touch.
- At the seat, the fender is as wide as that of the VN2000, but it like the fuel tank it tapers elegantly at the rear.
- Sissy-bar backrest features “Tombstone”-style riveting.
- The comfortable front seat and pillion pad are the same as those on the 900 Classic, with the addition of steel rivets.
- Where the 900 Classic instrument dial features a cream-coloured backing, the 900 Classic LT speedometer's backing is black.
Comfort and Convenience Features
- Footboards add comfort and contribute to the big bike styling.
- A heal-toe shifter adds to the Cruising experience.
- Kawasaki's exclusive Positive Neutral Finder allows the rider to lift the pedal from first at a stop to find neutral easily , every time.
- Large-capacity 18 litre fuel tank ensures an ample cruising range.
- The tank-mounted instrument console is slim and lightweight, contributing to the bike's elegant lines.
- Large-faced easy-to-read speedometer features a multi-function LCD display, warning lamps – and even a fuel gauge
- Large round multi-reflector headlamp complements the new classic bodywork and throws a broad beam for confident nighttime cruising.
- Front turn signals feature an integrated lamp/stay design for easy mounting.
- Push-to-Cancel Turn Signals: No fumbling, just a simple push on the switch cancels the turn signals
- The combination of wide handlebars and an ideal relationship between seat, bars and footboards results in wonderfully comfortable riding position.
- Ergonomically designed front bucket seat is very comfortable.
- Cushy pillion pad makes it easy to share the Cruising experience with a friend.
- The seat is easily removed by key, giving access to the helmet lock and tool kit.
- Large windscreen offers excellent protection from the wind and weather.
- Screen is height adjustable for rider preference.
- Premium crafted leather saddlebags with steel riveting provide storage space when you want to get away for a while.
- Hard inserts maintain bag shape while hidden speed latches are easy to operate.
- The Optional parts include engine guards, a rear carrier to complement the sissy-bar backrest, and a light bar.
- Type: Liquid-cooled 4-stroke V-Twin
- Displacement: 903 cc
- Bore and Stroke: 88 x 74.2 mm
- Compression Ratio: 9.5:1
- Valve System: SOHC, 4 valves/cylinder
- Fuel Injection: Ø 34 mm x 2
- Ignition: Digital
- Starting: Electric
- Lubrication: Forced lubrication, wet sump
- Transmission: 5-speed, return
- Primary Drive: Gear
- Final Drive: Belt
- Clutch: Wet, multi-disc
- Type: Double-cradle, high-tensile steel
- Suspension, Front: 41 mm telescopic fork
- Suspension, Rear: Triangle swingarm with Uni-Trac single shock (7-position spring preload adjustment
- Wheel Travel: Front: 150 mm
- Wheel Travel: Rear: 100 mm
- Tires: Front: 130/90-16M/C (67H)
- Tires: Rear: 180/70B15M/C (76H)
- Caster (Rake): 32 deg.
- Trail: 164 mm
- Steering Angle (Left/Right): 38 deg. / 38 deg.
- Front: Single 300 mm disc with twin-piston caliper
- Rear: Single 270 mm disc with twin-piston caliper
- Overall Length: 2,465 mm
- Overall Width: 1,005 mm
- Overall Height; 1,480 mm
- Wheelbase: 1,645 mm
- Ground Clearance: 135 mm
- Seat Height: 680 mm
- Curb Mass: 298 kg
- Fuel Capacity; 20 l
- Fuel Consumption: 5.2 l/100 km (54 MPG)
Additional Cost Options
- Good Times Protection Plan: 24 or 36 months (Kawasaki GTPP coverage begins after the standard limited warranty expires)
- Warranty: 24 months
- Colors: Ebony / Metallic Titanium, Metallic Nocturne Blue / Candy Imperial Blue
- Engine Type
- Liquid-cooled 4-stroke V-Twin
- 903 cc
- Bore and Stroke
- 88 x 74.2 mm
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- Ø 34 mm x 2
- Front Suspension
- 41 mm telescopic fork
- Rear Suspension
- Triangle swingarm with Uni-Trac single shock (7-position spring preload adjustment
- Front Brakes
- Single 300 mm disc with twin-piston caliper
- Rear Brakes
- Single 270 mm disc with twin-piston caliper
- Front Tire
- 130/90-16M/C (67H)
- Rear Tire
- 180/70B15M/C (76H)
- 1,645 mm
- Seat Height
- 680 mm
- 32 deg.
- 164 mm
- Fuel Capacity
- 20 l
- 5.2 l/100 km (54 MPG)
- 5-speed, return
- Final Drive
- Primary Drive: Gear; Final Drive: Belt
- Ebony / Metallic Titanium, Metallic Nocturne Blue / Candy Imperial Blue
- 24 months